Each year, the Junior Woman’s Club of Raleigh awards a one-time scholarship in honor of Sallie Southall Cotten, a founder of the North Carolina Federation of Women’s Clubs.
For the 2016 – 2017 Club Year, the scholarship amount is: $2,500.
The scholarship is open to all high school seniors from any Wake County high school. Applicants must attend a college or university in North Carolina in order to receive the scholarship.
The deadline for consideration for this scholarship is December 15th.
Members of our Club’s Education Community Service Program will review all applications received and select a group of finalists to interview. One winner will be awarded the Junior Woman’s Club of Raleigh’s Sallie Southall Cotten Scholarship.
Our Club’s scholarship recipient will compete at the District VI scholarship competition. The recipient is expected to attend the GFWC-NC District VI Arts Festival to be interviewed by a panel of judges and possibly win additional scholarship monies of $1,000 (Club Year 2016 – 2017). The District VI Arts Festival for Club Year 2016 – 2017 is Saturday, February 11, 2017.
The winner from each District in North Carolina goes on to compete for the State Scholarship of $12,000 which consists of $3,000 per year for four years!
The rules and requirements are as follows:
- Applicant must be in upper fourth of his or her class.
- The scholarship is to be used at a four-year College or University in North Carolina.
- Student must personally submit:
- Application (pdf) or Application (word)
- Recent photograph
- A personal letter as to why he/she desires to continue his/her education, his/her future plans and why financial aid is necessary
- Letter of recommendation from the principal, guidance counselor or a school teacher
- Letter of recommendation from a business or professional person other than school personnel
- 2015 Tax Returns
- High School transcript with grades through the first semester of senior year
- College entrance exam scores (math and verbal)
- Student’s rank in the senior class and the number of students in the graduating class
- Grade point average, weighted and unweighted
For any questions, please contact our scholarship chair. Mail completed items listed above to:
Junior Woman’s Club of Raleigh
3300 Woman’s Club Drive
Raleigh, NC 27612
c/o Education CSP Co-Chair